Wednesday 2 January 2013

Film 2: Life Of Pi - 3/1/13


7/10

I went to a midnight showing of Ang Lee's Life Of Pi tonight. I have been reading five-star reviews and hearing about how stunning the visuals were from friends and family for weeks so I figured it was finally time for me to go see it. Yann Martel's novel was described as unfilmable and unable to put on the big screen, but Lee successfully does it. One of the main problems was how do you keep the interest of the audience when you only have one character and a tiger for the majority of the film. Speaking of Richard Parker the name for the tiger that our protagonist Pi is stranded with, he is the heart and soul of the film. This is down to the brilliant computer graphics that brought Richard Parker to life and the directing by Ang Lee which makes us sympathise with Pi's attachment to Richard and it is heartbreaking when he leaves. It reminded me of Tom Hanks losing Wilson in Castaway. I really liked this movie but I feel like I would have liked it more had it not been for the ending. Up until the island I was thoroughly enjoying it, I don't know if they ran out of time, but the end felt extremely rushed and Pi's second journey from the island back to civilisation was shown in a matter of seconds which confused me and messed up the pacing of the film. Although it was probably intended that the end of the movie be a bit of a downer it didn't feel as poetic as the rest of the movie, and Pi's confession at the end almost ruined it for me. Apart from that it is a brilliant film and although most people will focus on the visuals, the story and the characters make it a heartwarming film. No film has made me want to own a cat more.

No comments:

Post a Comment